Re: [HACKERS] Recent SIGSEGV failures in buildfarm HEAD

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, List pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Recent SIGSEGV failures in buildfarm HEAD
Date: 2006-12-29 21:20:51
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>>
>>> I'm actually wondering if unlimiting core might not be a useful switch
>>> to provide on pg_ctl, as long as the platform has setrlimit().
>>>
>> Not a bad thought; that's actually one of the reasons that I still
>> usually use a handmade script rather than pg_ctl for launching
>> postmasters ...
>>

> this sounds like a good idea for me too - it seems like a cleaner and
> more useful thing on a general base then just doing it in the buildfarm
> code ...

Draft patch attached. However, there will be some more work to do. For
one thing, pg_regress does not use pg_ctl to start its temp install
postmaster, so either we'll need to train it the same way or get it to
use pg_ctl. And then we'd need to change the regression makefile to use
the option, based on an environment variable a bit like MAX_CONNEXCTIONS
maybe.

cheers

andrew