Re: Postgres and Firewall

To: Chetan Parekh <chetan(dot)parekh(at)in(dot)v2solutions(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres and Firewall
Date: 2006-12-29 17:10:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

Chetan Parekh wrote:

> We have Postgress Database running on machine with ip address
> 192.168.0.1 on port no 5432.
>

> We want to access this database from outside the firewall. Hence we
> need to open port no 5432 of 192.168.01 in firewall for outside users.
> But in firewall configuration we need to provide the type of call also
> like https, https, ect.
>

> We have Swing based application that need to access database over
> internet.
>

> Please guild me, what kind of call it will be from Swing based
> application to database
>
> !DSPAM:37,45954a6a31941048546528!
It's a PostgreSQL client library using the PostgreSQL protocol that does
the talking.
You sound like you're using a fairly restrictive firewall, generally
allowing traffic from/to a certain IP and port number is all that is
required - is there a "generic TCP" option at all in your firewall?

--
Andy Shellam
NetServe Support Team

the Mail Network
"an alternative in a standardised world"