Re: Recent SIGSEGV failures in buildfarm HEAD

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recent SIGSEGV failures in buildfarm HEAD
Date: 2006-12-29 16:02:53
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:

>> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>
>>> here's a quick untested patch for buildfarm that Stefan might like to try.
>>>

>> Note that not all core files are named "core".  On some Linux distros,
>> it's configured to be "core.PID" by default.
>>

> And on some platforms, cores don't drop in the current working directory
> ... but until we have a problem that *only* manifests on such a
> platform, I wouldn't worry about that.  We do need to look for 'core*'
> not just 'core', though.

That part is easy enough. And if people mangle their core location I am
certainly not going to go looking for it.
> Don't forget the ulimit point either ... on most Linuxen there won't be
> any core at all without twiddling ulimit.

Yeah. Perl actually doesn't have a core call for this. I have built some
code (see attached revised patch) to try to do it using a widespread but
non-standard module called BSD::Resource, but if the module is missing
it won't fail.

I'm actually wondering if unlimiting core might not be a useful switch
to provide on pg_ctl, as long as the platform has setrlimit().

cheers

andrew