Re: TODO: GNU TLS

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO: GNU TLS
Date: 2006-12-29 07:31:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc wrote:

> I will try again. It is a difficult subject for many.
>
> GPL software derived from PostgreSQL must honour the restrictions defined
> by the PostgreSQL (BSD) license.
>
> GPL software derived from OpenSSL must honour the restrictions defined
> by the OpenSSL license.
>
> What is the difference? Do you see it? You speak of "compatibility" as
> if it means that the above are different in some technical way. They
> are NOT different. Just because the GPL >= the PostgreSQL license,
> does not allow you to disobey the PostgreSQL license restrictions. You
> *cannot* release your entire derived GPL product as GPL, if it is
> distributed with PostgreSQL. The PostgreSQL component retains the
> PostgreSQL licensing restrictions, The GPL restrictions do not
> supercede or replace the PostgreSQL component and there is NOTHING the
> GPL can do to change this.

I think the issue revolves around the conditions that GPL stipulates
about "linking against" libraries requiring the entire product to be
*distributed* as GPL, even if components have differing licenses. This
is the so-called "viral" clause that gets much attention!

Now as Tom pointed out, I dunno why OpenSSL suddenly gets so much
attention, but anyway, just trying to clarify why *in principle* that
Stephen F is talking about a valid *possible* interpretation of the
licensing maze...

Cheers

Mark