Re: Recent SIGSEGV failures in buildfarm HEAD

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recent SIGSEGV failures in buildfarm HEAD
Date: 2006-12-28 18:17:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> writes:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Several of the buildfarm machines are exhibiting repeatable signal 11
>>> crashes in what seem perfectly ordinary queries.
>
>> no stack trace yet however impala at least seems to be running out of
>> memory (!) with 380MB of RAM and some 800MB of swap(and no other tasks)
>> during the regression run. Maybe something is causing a dramatic
>> increase in memory usage that is causing the random failures (in impalas
>> case the OOM-killer actually decides to terminate the postmaster) ?
>
> No, most all the failures I've looked at are sig11 not sig9.

hmm - still weird and I would not actually consider impala a resource
starved box (especially when compared to other buildfarm-members) so
there seems to be something strange going on.
I have changed the overcommit settings on that box for now - let's see
what the result of that will be.

> It is interesting that the failures are not as consistent as I first
> thought --- the machines that are showing failures actually fail maybe
> one time in two.

or some even less - dove seems to be one of the affected boxes too - I
increased the build frequency since yesterday but it has not yet failed
again ...

Stefan