Re: Changing character set when the damage is done

From: Alexis Paul Bertolini <bertolini(at)computer(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Changing character set when the damage is done
Date: 2006-12-24 16:05:37
Lists: pgsql-sql

Ragnar wrote:
> On lau, 2006-12-23 at 00:12 +0100, Alexis Paul Bertolini wrote:
>
> depends on whether all imports have been in the same encoding
> or not. SQL_ASCII basically accepts and stores the characters
> without interpretation, so if all imorts were done with one
> client_encoding, you should be able to read the values again
> using the same encoding.
>
> are all the instances of these 5 characters the same everywhere?
> in that case there is a good chance that you can fix the values
> with UPDATES
>
> when you say
> 'all accented vowels show up differently from what I expected'
> do you mean in psql or some other tool?
> do these show as 1 or 2 characters?
Thanks for your reply, Gnari,

all imports were done using default values, so the encoding ought to be
the same. As proof of this, same characters show up in the same way.

They show up in PHP, PgAdminIII and psql. All the same. A lowercase e
with a grave accent appears as a capital A with the cedilla, followed by
an umlaut (just the umlaut, on its own). So to answer your question,
they are two characters.

Oh... and Merry Christmas!

Alex.