Re: Tuning single row operations

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tuning single row operations
Date: 2006-12-21 14:08:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> For 8.3 my goal is to improve the performance of single row operations,

Great. That's something that's useful across the board.

> Currently, I'm aware of these possibilities, some fairly vague
> - avoid RI checks for update of a column not mentioned in SET

Linked at least logically - conditional triggers ("where
old.status<>new.status" or similar) could save on IF statements early in
trigger functions.

> - improve RI check perf by caching small, static tables in each backend
> - apply index filter conditions on index scan to avoid heap lookup

For fkey checks against a basically static table could you get away with
just checking the index and not the table?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd