Re: Oracle support for PostgreSQL?

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Oracle support for PostgreSQL?
Date: 2006-12-20 19:26:26
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 11:52 -0500, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
>> On 12/19/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>>> I bet if I bought Unbreakable Linux and asked for PostgreSQL support
>>> they would support it.
>>>
>> You should do it and see what they say :)
>
> Heh, "Hi.. wondering if you could help me with my PostgreSQL installation on
> Unbreakable Linux."

I figured it was easier to ask their
Unbreakable Linux Team rather than just speculating here.

I asked their Linux support forums about Oracle's support
for PostgreSQL and Red Hat Database and MySQL as well,
and got this response:

 "Oracle does not provide support for these databases, but
 will work with respective vendors to resolve customer issues."
 [link 1 below]

The response is from someone who works in "Oracle's Linux
Engineering team crafting solutions under the Unbreakable
Linux program"[2].  It's not an official statement of
corporate policy, but probably as close as you'll get.

For PostgreSQL, I guess "respective vendors" would mean
both the community here and perhaps some of the postgresql
support companies (some of which are Oracle partners).

Personally, I think that's a very fair policy of theirs;
and I imagine it's good that they'd get the upstream projects
involved rather than trying to support it themselves.

> I wonder if I could record the call... ;)

Email was easier.

[1] http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=135&threadID=456043
[2] http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#leunissen