Re: Autovacuum Improvements

From: Glen Parker <glenebob(at)nwlink(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Autovacuum Improvements
Date: 2006-12-20 02:16:44
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Glen Parker wrote:
>
>> I'd also like to use some of this information to issue reindex and
>> cluster commands only when they're needed. In fact, on days when I
>> cluster, there's no need whatsoever to also vacuum those tables. This
>> is something that autovacuum won't do at all.
>
> Well, I'd rather fix CLUSTER so that it reports that there are currently
> no dead tuples in the table. This should be an easy patch that, hey,
> maybe you could contribute ;-)

I knew that would come up eventually :D. Believe me, I'd love to dig
in, but I haven't had a postgres dev tree on my system in years and I
don't have any time for it right now. (But there's always time to
banter in the mailing list, right? :-) )

Actually what I meant was that autovacuum will always just vacuum. In
some cases I'd rather it cluster instead. But on that note, it would
also be madly useful to give CLUSTER the ability to ANALYZE as well.

-Glen