Re: out of memory in backup and restore

From: Thomas Markus <t(dot)markus(at)proventis(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: out of memory in backup and restore
Date: 2006-12-18 09:07:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

i tried various ways to backup that db.
if i use a separate 'copy table to 'file' with binary' i can export the
problematic table and restore without problems. resulting outputfile is
much smaller than default output and runtime is much shorter.
is there any way to say pg_dump to use a copy command with option 'with
binary'? it should be possible with the custom or tar format. i searched
the docs and manpage and cant find something.

Tom Lane schrieb:
> Thomas Markus <t(dot)markus(at)proventis(dot)net> writes:
>> logfile content see
> It looks to me like you must have individual rows whose COPY
> representation requires more than half a gigabyte (maybe much more,
> but at least that) and the system cannot allocate enough buffer space.
yes, msg is DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 546321213. (521mb)
> It could be that this is a symptom of corrupted data, if you're certain
> that there shouldn't be any such rows in the table.
>> kernel is 2.6.15-1-em64t-p4-smp, pg version is 8.1.0 32bit
> You really need a 64-bit PG build if you want to push
> multi-hundred-megabyte field values around --- otherwise there's just
> not enough headroom in the process address space.  (Something newer than
> 8.1.0 would be a good idea too.)
i cant change the db installation. but thats another problem