Re: Synthesize support for Statement.getGeneratedKeys()?

From: Ken Johanson <pg-user(at)kensystem(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
Subject: Re: Synthesize support for Statement.getGeneratedKeys()?
Date: 2006-12-14 15:38:26
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Michael Paesold wrote:
..
> It would be possible to implement that using the RETURNING clause
> supported in recent versions of the server.
>
> See here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2006-10/msg00035.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2006-10/msg00037.php
>
> Unfortunately, all my available spare time went into implementing
> support for standards_conforming_strings in the 8.2 release cycle.

And that is a feature which I VERY much appreciate having... thank you, btw!

> Could you comment on my mail above (the second one) -- what API-methods
> does your software use, actually?

Yes, of the four executeUpdates() that you listed in your email
discussion, it uses executeUpdate(String sql, String[] columnNames)
exclusively (the easy one :-)).

Aside from that, if there were a way to get the backend to support the
others (for example executeUpdate(String sql, int[] columnIdx)), that
would be a best investment of everyone's time. But my vote right now
would be for an implementation of (..,String[] columnNames) so that I
can get bootstrapped with PG :)

Either way, I will be very happy, of course, to do some beta testing.