Re: PG 8.2's JDBC, and Statement.executeUpdate(String, String[])

From: Ken Johanson <pg-user(at)kensystem(dot)com>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG 8.2's JDBC, and Statement.executeUpdate(String, String[])
Date: 2006-12-14 05:18:31
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Ken Johanson wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm getting a:
>>
>> AbstractMethodError:
>> org.postgresql.jdbc2.Jdbc2Statement.executeUpdate(Ljava/lang/String;[Ljava/lang/String;)I
>>

>> when I call Statement.executeUpdate(String, String[]) on the PG 8.2
>> distro's JDBC driver (I did not check any other versions).
>>

> executeUpdate(String, String[]) is a JDBC3 method, but you are evidently
> using a JDBC2 driver.  When you use a JDBC3 driver you will get a
> SQLException reporting that this method is not implemented if you
> supply anything other than an array of zero length.  Actually this
> should probably also allow a null array as now it will throw a NPE when
> it shouldn't.
>
> Kris Jurka

Thank you Kris. Yes, I just now noticed that. Had both 2 and 3 drivers
in my classpath. Removed the V2 drivers, but now I get a:

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Returning autogenerated keys is not
supported

I'll have to do some searching to find out why this features isn't
supported (unless someone has quick pointers to docs :).

Thank you again,

Ken