Re: Switching to XML

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Blewett <david(at)dawninglight(dot)net>,"Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>,Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Switching to XML
Date: 2006-12-12 07:58:07
Lists: pgsql-docs
Tom Lane a ecrit le 12/12/2006 02:47:
> David Blewett <david(at)dawninglight(dot)net> writes:
> [...]
>> I also would like to reiterate the fact that the localization
>> efforts would appreciate not having to re-do their work for each
>> release.
>
> How exactly does working from an osx translation rather than hand-edited
> sources handicap them?  Or even more to the point, which part of their
> work don't they have to redo anyway?  We certainly have never hesitated
> to whack the documentation around in small ways and large...

I don't know for others but I think I can speak for the french team :)

I also don't quite understand the whole point on the translation. I use
Kompare to... hmmm... compare one release to another. I merge *manually*
the differences, and then I translate them. I also need to transform
SGML tags to XML tags (</> stuff and no ending tags). Actually, the
merge/translate step is much more difficult.

If some projects prefer to use po (with xml2pot or po4all), "make
postgres.xml" is the required step. The XML file built this way seems
valid to me.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.