Re: Update-able View linked to Access

From: Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Update-able View linked to Access
Date: 2006-12-12 02:48:41
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
>> Please change the field name of B.ctid from hasbandctid to ctid.
>> The name should be "ctid" for the driver to detect the field is for versioning.
>> A.ctid isn't needed.
>
> It works now!  However, I have a question.  If I have a view with more than two joined tables will
> i need to reference the ctid from each table after the first update statement?

The ctid of the target table of the rule's last statement should be referenced.
For example, in your case the command

	UPDATE "public"."vhusband"
	SET    "name"=E'hello44',"tiesize"=52
	WHERE  "id" = 10
	AND    "ctid" = E'(0,47)'

is issued by MS Access.
The where condition "id" = 10 AND "ctid" = E'(0,47)' is added to
each statment in the rule when the command is executed.
So it's very siginificant that the contents of "id" and "ctid"
are not changed until the last statement is called.
Please note that the ctid field is modified autmatically when
the table is updated.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue