Re: Update-able View linked to Access

From: Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Update-able View linked to Access
Date: 2006-12-12 00:33:33
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
> I created an updateable view using a two part rule and linked it as a table to MS Access. I am
> getting the error below when ever I try to update the name field. I tried manually updating the
> view from an access update query using only "ID" and it worked perfectly. When I linked the view
> as a table I defined id as the primary key, so why is the query sent by the ODBC driver using the
> other fields as well when "ID" should be all that it needs?.

MS Access adds the "name" and "tiesize" fields to the where clause to check if the
target row was updated by other users while editing the MS Access form etc.

> I could add these additional fields to the rules update where conditions,

Maybe it wouldn't work unfortunately.

> but if it works should
> it even be necessary?

This error seems to be caused by an essential flaw of the rule system.

Could you try the following ?

Add the CTID field of the target table of the last update rule to the
definition of the view. In your case, try to add husband.ctid to the
definition of vhusband.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue