Re: Switching to XML

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: David Blewett <david(at)dawninglight(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Switching to XML
Date: 2006-12-12 00:31:02
Lists: pgsql-docs

David Blewett a écrit :
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Right. So using the XSL(T) stylesheet instead of the DSSSL stylesheet would
>> be a step in the right direction. Actually the 8.2 branch currently only has
>> an XSLT stylesheet for HTML output. In 8.3devel I've added one for XSL-FO
>> output, which you can invoke by "make postgres-{A4|US}.fo". (You will
>> probably want yet a different paper format for your book.)
>
> Excuse my ignorance, but I thought XSLT stylesheets can only be used
> on XML files?

That's right. To use Peter's work, you need to checkout CVS HEAD, cd
into doc/src/sgml, "make postgres.xml" which build a valid XML file.

Next step depends on the output format you want to get. To get HTML
output from XSLT file, execute "make xslthtml". This target use
stylesheet.xsl which customizes a bit the XSLT stylesheets for XHTML
available from docbook.sourceforge.net. To get .fo output (required to
build a PDF file), "make postgres-A4.fo". This command will use the
stylesheet-fo.xsl file. This file is just a pointer to XSLT stylesheets
for PDF available from docbook.sourceforge.net. Simple but effective.

A summary :
* to build HTML manual with XSLT :
make postgres.xml
make xslthtml
* to build PDF manual with XSLT :
make postgres.xml
make postgres-A4.fo
fop.sh postgres-A4.fo postgres-A4.pdf

I think my fop install is broken because I'm not able to build the PDF
file...

Peter, if I said something stupid, please, tell it. This is just what I
understood from your mail and the Makefiles/xslt files you provide.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/