do not obtain all columns from DBD::Pg

From: Bram Kuijper <a(dot)l(dot)w(dot)kuijper(at)rug(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: do not obtain all columns from DBD::Pg
Date: 2006-12-11 22:48:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

Okay... thanks for the replies on the 'cannot remove column' topic. That
answer indeed quite obvious..

some other newbie-related issue:

If I select all columns from a pgsql-table from a Perl-Script (by using
DBD::pg by doing something like:

#select all column names:
my $results = $dbh->selectall_arrayref("SELECT column_name FROM
information_schema.columns WHERE table_name ='simulations_ltbl'")
or warn "something goes wrong here";

# print all column names:
for my $row (@$results) {
print "@$row\n";
}

then I don't get the complete set of columns compared to when I execute
the SQL directly in PostgreSQL. Especially I miss 2 column names in
Perl, which have types 'timestamp without time zone' and 'character
varying(255)', which are shown without problem when using the psql client.

Sounds like some DBD-related issue in displaying all supported column
values, but on the DBD::pg site on CPAN, both datatypes are supported.
Something else knows what's wrong with this?

any help is appreciated,

Bram