Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations

From: "Craig A(dot) James" <cjames(at)modgraph-usa(dot)com>
To: Ron <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Date: 2006-12-11 18:46:26
Lists: pgsql-performance

Ron wrote:
> We are not going to get valuable contributions nor help people become
> more valuable to the community by "flaming them into submission".
>
> Let's support getting definitive evidence. No matter who brings it to
> the table ;-)

Thanks, Ron, for a voice of respect and reason. Since I first started using Usenet back in 1984, inexplicable rudeness has been a plague on otherwise civilized people. We're a community, we're all in this to help one another. Sometimes we give good advice, and sometimes even those "wearing the mantle of authority" can make boneheaded comments. I know I do, and when it happens, I always appreciate it when I'm taken to task with good humor and tolerance.

When someone comes to this forum with an idea you disagree with, no matter how brash or absurd their claims, it's so easy to challenge them with grace and good humor, rather than chastizing with harsh words and driving someone from our community. If you're right, you will have taught a valuable lesson to someone. And if on occasion a newcomer shows us something new, then we've all learned. Either way, we have a new friend and contributor to the community.

Craig