Re: 8.2rc1 (much) slower than 8.2dev?

From: Arjen van der Meijden <acmmailing(at)tweakers(dot)net>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2rc1 (much) slower than 8.2dev?
Date: 2006-12-07 09:13:17
Lists: pgsql-patches pgsql-performance

On 7-12-2006 7:01 Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> Can you post them on the web somewhere so everyone can look at them?
No, its not (only) the size that matters, its the confidentiality I'm
not allowed to just break by myself. Well, at least not on a scale like
that. I've been mailing off-list with Tom and we found at least one
query that in some circumstances takes a lot more time than it should,
due to it mistakenly chosing to do a bitmap index scan rather than a
normal index scan.

> Also, are you looking at EXPLAIN or EXPLAIN ANALYZE?
Explain analyze and normal query execution times of several millions of
queries executed on both versions of postgresql, so we can say something
about them statistically.

Best regards,

Arjen