Re: Suggestion: new frontpage layout

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Suggestion: new frontpage layout
Date: 2006-12-04 12:05:16
Lists: pgsql-www

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I think it is unreasonable to expect people to keep seperate blogs.
> Except for my family, my life *is* pretty much PostgreSQL. Thus many
> things that don't seem relevant to some, may seem relevant to others.
>
> I, as a geek + business person, will blog very directly about topics
> that do not to you seem relevant because I am not talking about TRUNCATE
> or FOREIGN KEYS. However, to a person trying to derive a profit from
> PostgreSQL, they may be relevant.
>
> Also it is relevant that my daughter got the flu, because it is likely
> that I now may get the flu and thus will effect the things that I do for
> the community for a short time. It is also relevant because Darcy's
> daughter also got the flu, and thus he can empathize with the current
> situation (this example is just and example btw).

A simple answer would be to simply filter what we display on the front
page of the site. istm there is no reason why we cannot a) restrict the
articles shown to only those from specific authors, and b) restrict the
articles from those authors to ones in specifc categories.

That way, if Joshua wants to post a useful howto, he can do so, and
categorise it under 'PostgreSQL' to have it show up on the front page of
the site. If he wants to blog about his pet cats latest antics then he
can categorise under 'Family' which won't show up on the front page.

There is some valuable stuff on planetpostgresql, it would be good to
include it if we can.

Regards, Dave.