Re: Error installing PostgreSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Just E(dot) Mail" <justemail(at)imwell-usa(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error installing PostgreSQL
Date: 2009-04-05 15:40:44
Lists: pgsql-novice
"Just E. Mail" <justemail(at)imwell-usa(dot)com> writes:
> When I try to install:  postgresql-libs-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel5.i386.rpm
> I get a dependency error saying that file:  libpg.so.4 is missing.

This indicates that somewhere in your system is a package that depends
on a pre-8.2 version of libpq.  The error message should have told
you which package (or packages) that is.  You can either remove it/them,
if they are packages you don't need; or look for updated versions.

One of the good things about open source is you can fix this kind of
problem yourself.  If some of those packages *are* things you need, and
you can't find updated versions, just get the source RPM (SRPM) and
rebuild them yourself after installing the newer postgresql-libs.