Re: Out of file-descriptors message

From: Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net>
To: Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net>, John Allgood <john(at)turbocorp(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Terry Lee Tucker <terry(at)leetuckert(dot)net>, "J(dot) D(dot) Pearson" <jpearson(at)turbocorp(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Out of file-descriptors message
Date: 2006-11-30 14:46:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>>> Yeah, the point is that you have the max_files_per_process setting
>>> higher than what the kernel likes. So decrease it, and Postgres will
>>> adjust itself to use less file descriptors by closing and reopening
>>> files as needed.
>> I work with the original poster and wanted to make sure the problem here
>> is clear.
>
> Yes, that was understood from the beginning.
>
>> The 'out of file descriptors' message is coming from
>> Postgresql, not the kernel. Thus, it doesn't make sense to me that the
>> max_files_per_process setting is too high. I would think we need to
>> increase it so that Postgresql will stop generating these errors.
>
> No, you need to lower it so that Postgres doesn't _try_ to use as many
> file descriptors. Read this again:
>
>>> So decrease it, and Postgres will
>>> adjust itself to use less file descriptors by closing and reopening
>>> files as needed.

Okay, I'm just not getting it. Postgres complains that it is out of
file descriptors. The kernel is not complaining about any such issues.

So I should lower the max_files_per_process
value and this will rid us of the 'out of file descriptors' error?

Is it because the max_files_per_process is greater then the number of
file descriptors that are alloted to Postgres by the kernel?

--
Until later, Geoffrey

- Benjamin Franklin