Re: Stripping kernel FreeBSD - postgres

From: Alban Hertroys <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>
To: Enrico <scotty(at)linuxtime(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stripping kernel FreeBSD - postgres
Date: 2006-11-30 14:10:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Enrico wrote:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/it_IT.ISO8859-15/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html
>>

> Hi Bill
> I already read your link and it is not specific for Postgres, I'm searching for a
> more specific document.

You'll probably want a lot of shared memory, but you can set that using
sysctls.
If you're on a multi-cpu system, you'll want SMP.
If you're on a hyperthreading machine, you'll have to choose whether you
want that on or off (don't know what's best for PostgreSQL).
If you're on a 32-bit platform with lots of RAM, you may need PAE.
Other than that, I really wouldn't know.

What kind of kernel options do you expect to have any impact on database
performance?

You could build a couple of different kernels with different configs and
see what works best for you. I suppose hyper-threading or not and PAE or
not are the best candidates for experimentation.

I know there're quite a few FreeBSD users among the people here and I've
always kinda disliked system administration, so I suspect I'm not the
best candidate for answering your question :P
--
Alban Hertroys
alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl

magproductions b.v.