LOCK ... NOWAIT throws error

From: Michal Taborsky - Internet Mall <michal(dot)taborsky(at)mall(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: LOCK ... NOWAIT throws error
Date: 2006-11-29 15:47:49
Lists: pgsql-general
Hello.

We started using, in one of our applications, the LOCK ... NOWAIT
functionality. It works as it's supposed to, but there is one, albeit
tiny, annoyance about it.

When the LOCK cannot be immediately obtained, this statement logs an
ERROR message. But in this case, I think it is not appropriate to call
this event an error, since I am well aware it might happen and actually
expect it, since I use the NOWAIT switch.

Why is it an annoyance? We monitor the logs for ERROR messages and act
upon them, but in this case we have to filter it out or ignore it.

I wonder, if there isn't a possibility to change this reporting behavior
(well, probably no, but I am asking just in case). Or if no, you might
take it as a suggestion for next release.

Bye.

--
Michal Táborský
chief systems architect