Re: RES: Priority to a mission critical transaction

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: RES: Priority to a mission critical transaction
Date: 2006-11-29 01:20:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-performance
Before asking them to remove it, are we sure priority inversion
is really a problem?

I thought this paper: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~bianca/icde04.pdf
did a pretty good job at studying priority inversion on RDBMs's
including PostgreSQL on various workloads (TCP-W and TCP-C) and
found that the benefits of setting priorities vastly outweighed
the penalties of priority inversion across all the databases and
all the workloads they tested.