Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Collateral for LISA 06
Date: 2006-11-28 18:54:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>
>> Mike Ellsworth wrote:
>>
>>> We'll have 2 pdf's ready (for comment) --- probably end of day
>>> tomorrow. - #1 will be an 8.5" x 11" --- which is meant to be printed
>>> in full color, 2-sided and trifolded. Designed to be a brief
>>> overview and printed in full color. Cover is done. Content
>>> in-progress.
>>>
>>> - #2 will be 11" x 17", 2 sheets, 8 impressions (8.5x 11),
>>> centerfolded and stitched, so that finished size would be similar to
>>> a magazine.
>>>
>>> Designed to provide:
>>> a) Complete, organized detail of changess 8.1 --> 8.2
>>> b) Something for detail oriented people to read as they eagerly
>>> await the opportunity to actually speak to Josh Berkus. Content and
>>> layout are done. Cover is in-progress. Can be either color or B&W.
>>> B&W should be adequate for its intended purpose.
>>>
>>> So -- question is --- when we are done, where do we put it/email it?
>>> Probably be ~ 2 meg total, maybe less.
>>

>> I'd like a copies if possible. I work for a publishing company with
>> printing capabilities including stitching and folding. I'd like to
>> see what we could do with these.
>>
>> Any preferences on paper weight etc?
>>

>> Rod
>
> Kind of a short fuse as LISA is just around the corner -- and Josh
> indicated he was just going to get them run at Kinko's. He probably
> needs all within the next few days.

Sorry. I've been kind of buried and didn't follow the initial thread on
this. Typically for anything less than 10,000 it would only take a day
or so plus shipping time.
Also I would have to get it approved, See below.

> I'm sure after this conference, he'd welcome any help. Brochures aren't
> really our "thing" and we were just trying to help with a short term
> need. So in the future -- feel free to hop in or - take over . I'm sure
> your capabilities exceed ours. When this is complete (with edits), I'll
> forward to you or post a link as applicable.

Well I've been working on a "project" that would tie in nicely and could
be used for marketing by "PostgreSQL" companies.

I've looked, but with little success, for a quick reference for
PostgreSQL. Something similar to what Visibone does for Web design.
Books are OK, as are the Docs, but there are times I just need a tap
with the clue-stick not a full on whack.

So to get this I'm designing an eight page "Quick" reference. The plan
is to print on 120# ( 12 pt ) paper and UV coat to give it some body.
Stitched and folded to "US letter" :-)

It could/would have a spot, or two, for a company to put its logo, URL,
and contact information; and passed out at trade shows.

Or with PostgreSQL info, sold in book stores.

I have got a very good cost quote. ( Not high enough up the food chain
to get _this_ done for free. ) So any profit from the sale could go
into 'the fund.'

OK I'll calm down a bit.

Rod