Re: BUG #2784: Performance serious degrades over a period of a month

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Michael Simms" <michael(at)tuxgames(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #2784: Performance serious degrades over a period of a month
Date: 2006-11-28 11:08:15
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-performance
Michael Simms wrote:

> Bug reference:      2784
> Logged by:          Michael Simms
> Email address:      michael(at)tuxgames(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.1.4
> Operating system:   Linux kernel 2.6.12
> Details:
>
> OK, we have a database that runs perfectly well after a dump and restore,
> but over a period of a month or two, it just degrades to the point of
> uselessness.
> vacuumdb -a is run every 24 hours. We have also run for months at a time
> using -a -z but the effect doesnt change.

You might have a hung transaction that never finishes open, which
prevents vacuum from removing old tuple versions. Or you might have too
low FSM settings as others suggested.

I'd try running VACUUM VERBOSE by hand, and taking a good look at the
output. If there's nothing obviously wrong with it, please send the
output back to the list (or pgsql-performance, as Tom suggested), and
maybe we can help.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas