Re: Integrating Replication into Core

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Integrating Replication into Core
Date: 2006-11-28 07:42:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Jeff Davis wrote:
> Because we're talking about replication, I don't think we can limit the
> discussion to current open source solutions. I could be mistaken, but I
> am under the impression that commercial replication solutions do patch
> the backend.

Sure. But as you see, at least Joshua D. Drake is quite happy with

patch -p1 < all_his_replicator_changes.diff

I'm, too. Because I don't think I could get anything useful into core.
And as long as I'd still have to patch the backend, what would that
serve me?

I really think this decision should be left to the developers of
replication systems. We *will* ask core, if we want to have something
added (as did the GORDA project). I state the same in my FAQ at [1].

> You're right, there is no agreement yet. When I say "first step," I mean
> that it's the first step toward getting any form of replication support
> in the _backend_, _not_ a first step toward a replication solution at
> all.

Okay, sorry, then I misread you.

> It may be a long time before the backend has replication-specific
> support of any kind, but many replication projects have passed the first
> step toward replication a long time ago.

Have they? Have you heard requests for specific additions into core from
any of them?

> I am not advocating replication support in the backend (since I don't
> even know what form that would take), nor am I saying that it will
> appear soon. I am just saying that replication-specific syntax is
> unlikely to appear before other replication-specific details.

Sure.

Regards

Markus

[1]: http://www.postgres-r.org/about/faqs