More then 1600 columns?

From: "Mark Mitchell" <mmitchell(at)riccagroup(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: More then 1600 columns?
Date: 2010-11-12 05:04:33
Lists: pgsql-general
Greeting PostgreSQL Gurus.

>From my goggling I know this has been discussed before and from what I have read it seems that the consensus is you can re-compile postgres and increase the block size from 8k to 16k or 32k to double or quadruple this limit.
I re-compiled the latest 9.0.1 source rpm on CentOS 5 x64 setting --with-blocksize=32 but when I tested it I still get the error "Error:  tables can have at most 1600 columns"

pg_controldata verifies  the block size is

"Database block size:                         32768"

I also tried to increate the WAL block size to see if that had any effect but it does not. So is what I have read wrong? Is there are hard limit of 1600 that you cannot get around?

- Mark

pgsql-general by date