Re: Backup and Restore options disabled in 1.6

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Ryan Holmes <ryan(at)hyperstep(dot)com>, "'pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backup and Restore options disabled in 1.6
Date: 2006-11-20 10:15:43
Lists: pgadmin-support

Ryan Holmes wrote:
> Hi Dave, thanks for the response.
>
> I can't get to the XP machine right now to verify, but I literally just
> clicked "next" during the install so it should be completely vanilla. On
> the 2003 machine, yes, pg_dump.exe and pg_restore.exe are in the same
> directory as pgAdmin.exe (the 2003 machine is x64 btw, so pgAdmin is
> under "Program Files (x86)" if that makes any difference).
>
> I got the backup and restore options working on the 2003 machine by
> adding the Postres 8.2 bin directory to my path. I can verify the
> location of pg_dump.exe and pg_restore.exe on the XP machine on Monday,
> but I'll be pretty surprised if they're not in the install directory
> alongside pgAdmin.exe.
>
> The only potentially "unusual" thing I can think of about my 1.6 install
> is that I first uninstalled 1.4.3 (on both machines). I assumed it would
> be cleaner if anything, but maybe something's weird in the registry and
> pgAdmin doesn't know its install location(?).

Further investigation shows that this is actually a bug in the version
of wxWidgets that 1.6.0 is linked with. It seems to be resolved in
2.8.0-rc1, so future versions of pgAdmin should work fine.

The workaround, is to add a directory (such as the pgAdmin dir, or
PostgreSQL bin dir) to your system path.

Regards, Dave.