Re: [CORE] SPF Record ...

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: [CORE] SPF Record ...
Date: 2006-11-19 20:08:39
Lists: pgsql-www

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Until someone devises the 'perfect solution to spam', I would think that a
> series of 'less then perfect ones' would at least help combat it ...

And that's a perfectly fine idea, except when one of those partial
solutions can have undesirable side effects. In the case of SPF we've
heard of at least two so far:

1) When used without ?all, those scoring messages using SPF may end up
blocking legitimate messages from non-listed servers.

2) SPF may be used as a mechanism for DNS attacks.

Regards, Dave.