Re: Postgres server crash

From: "Craig A(dot) James" <cjames(at)modgraph-usa(dot)com>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres server crash
Date: 2006-11-16 17:00:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

Russell Smith wrote:
>> For the third time today, our server has crashed...
>
> I would guess it's the linux OOM if you are running linux. You need to
> turn off killing of processes when you run out of memory. Are you
> getting close to running out of memory?

Good suggestion, it was a memory leak in an add-on library that we plug in to the Postgres server.

OOM? Can you give me a quick pointer to what this acronym stands for and how I can reconfigure it? It sounds like a "feature" old UNIX systems like SGI IRIX had, where the system would allocate virtual memory that it didn't really have, then kill your process if you tried to use it. I.e. malloc() would never return NULL even if swap space was over allocated. Is this what you're talking about? Having this enabled on a server is deadly for reliability.

Thanks,
Craig