Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date: 2006-11-13 12:22:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

>> Dev: PostgreSQL is slow
>> Me: What seems to be the problem
>> Dev: I am using Hibernate and my queries are slow
>> Me: Do you vacuum? Did you analyze? What does the explain say?
>> Dev: parse error
>> Me: ??maintenance
>> Dev: You mean there is stuff you have to do to the database beside
>> Hibernate config?
>> Me: /quit
>>

> You're entitled to your opinion, but from an advocacy perspective, that's
> a terrible response and a terrible attitude. Our goal should be to educate
> and encourage newbies, not laugh at them and drive them off. Unfortunately,
> I see too much of the latter, and not enough of the former, including on
> this very list.

I have spent more time than is probably healthy helping newbies on these
lists and various support channels.
This isn't about helping newbies, I am 100% happy to help newbies. My
point in this thread is not about
newbies. My point is about irresponsibility of developers, specifically
professional developers and lack of
willingness to actually understand your platform.

If you say, I am a developer... you are not a newbie. You may be new to
the platform, but if you are actually
a developer you are more than smart enough and you have a
*responsibility* to make sure you understand
that platform.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake