fsync off without a restart

From: Valentin Bogdanov <valiouk(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: fsync off without a restart
Date: 2008-08-27 15:42:25
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi list,

I have got a script that is inserting, updating heavily at the moment. So, I want to turn fsync off to speed things up but I don't want to interrupt the script.

If I do `postgresql reload` or `kill -HUP postmaster_pid` woudl that apply the fsync change? By the way, I have already tried it and seems that it has worked.

But I have got another question. On my debian system I have got `postgresql force-reload`. How does that differ from the plain reload? And what does it actually do under the hood?

I am running Postgres 8.1.11 on Linux 2.6.18.

Regards,

Val

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Phoenix KiulaDate: 2008-08-27 15:54:27