Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date: 2006-11-09 09:20:51
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> The reality is that users who cut their teeth today on MySQL are likely
> to carry it into their future jobs, even if PostgreSQL is a much better
> choice. EnterpriseDB has many customers that have MySQL running around.
> Right now, they're coming to us because they recognize that MySQL just
> isn't enterprise-ready, but that won't be the case forever. It wasn't
> long ago that we could easily dismiss MySQL because it didn't even
> support sub-selects. And they're gunning to be an enterprise database.

I do not think we will be able to get the n00b developer to start with
PostgreSQL. A much more feasible to reach audience is up and coming
DBA's. So for example making sure that University courses are done using
PostgreSQL instead of some closed source alternative. I sure hope that
none of them are using MySQL atm, as this would surely limit the scope
of what they can teach. So if you want to talk marketing, maybe there
should be (and maybe there already is) some site didacted for PostgreSQL
in the education sector.

At the Frankfurt PHP/OpenDB con earlier this week someone showed me a
PHP app written in PHP using PEAR::MDB2 as its abstraction layer which
supposedly is bundled with some education package from SUN. He was
atleast showing methe thing running on PostgreSQL, though it could of
course run on SQLite or MySQL just as well. But these are the kind of
places where we should hope to make PostgreSQL the default in both the
configuration and whatever tutorials are being send out. So that people
learn to make use of the entire scope of what RDBMS have to offer these
days right from the bat. And these are the people that actually care to
learn about them.

regards,
Lukas