Re: WIP patch for tuple freezing issues

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP patch for tuple freezing issues
Date: 2006-11-05 12:35:37
Lists: pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> Attached is a draft patch for the WAL-and-freezing issues we've been
> discussing.  This incorporates Heikki and Simon's work on providing
> WAL-logging for tuple freezing actions and pg_clog truncation
> respectively, and adds on several other things:

Looks good. Just a few notes:

The patch seems to make VACUUM FULL FREEZE combination valid again,
which should be note in the docs.

This comment in vacuum.c:

/*
  * If we froze any tuples, mark the buffer dirty, and write a WAL
  * record recording the changes.  We must log the changes to be
  * crash-safe if we truncate clog at conclusion of the vacuum.
  */

is not accurate. As discussed earlier, a crash is a problem even if clog
is not truncated by this vacuum, because relfrozenxid is updated anyway.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas