Re: On what we want to support: travel?

From: Brian Hurt <bhurt(at)janestcapital(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: On what we want to support: travel?
Date: 2006-11-02 15:03:26
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-www
Josh Berkus wrote:

> However, I'll stand my evaluation that we need to work on "bang for
> the buck" basis.  Some of these standards bodies and trade groups can
> absorb enormous amounts of money while delivering questionable
> benefits (having been to TPC meetings, the TPC falls into this class
> in my mind) wheras others are more modest and provide immediate
> opportunities.  So I might put the latter ahead of flying David to
> Brazil, but not the former.

I can't speak to the productivity or lack thereof of attending TPC
meetings, except to say that somewhere I still have the poster that
reads "Meetings: the practical alternative to work!"  However, I do know
this: the "big boys" (Oracle, DB2, Sybase, even MSSQL) all talk a lot
about their TPC results- TPC-C this, TPC-D that, TPC-H this other
thing.  Having official TPC scores we can put up somewhere would cause
the CTOs, CIOs, and PHBs of this world to put us in the same mental
category as these databases- wether they beleive the results or not.
This also helps differentiate Postgres from MySql- a little quick
googling gave me a number of web pages which said that MySql was not
conformant enough to run TPC-C.

We don't even have to win the TPC benchmarks- simply competing puts
postgres in a different category.

Brian