Re: On what we want to support: travel?

From: "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>
To: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: On what we want to support: travel?
Date: 2006-10-31 03:23:55
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On 31 Oct 2006 at 2:50, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake replied:
> >> Anyone who is interested in advocacy or has something to say about it
> >> should be on the list. This is the place for that.
>
> > To second the above. If the people can't be bothered to subscribe to the
> > list and participate, I am not really interested in their opinion.
>
> How will people know about this list? How will they know that there are
> actually potentially important decisions being discussed on the list?

That's what advocacy is about. Getting involved. That's how
projects work.

> Perhaps by drilling down to
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/
>
> and then reading this?:
>
> pgsql-advocacy PostgreSQL vs. the rest. Promotional ideas, etc.

Well, that's what advocacy is all about. If you're interested in
promoting PostgreSQL, then you're here. If you're not, you're not.

You are suggesting is advocacy of advocacy. Great. Enjoy. I would
prefer to spend my time on more productive things. Like actually
doing the work that needs to be done.

> Adrian Klaver writes:
>
> > The issue of consensus from the Postgres community. At one time I recall a
> > number of 21,000 for subscribers to pgsql-general. By the time a consensus
> > was reached on a issue the issue would be moot or the money would have turned
> > to dust.
>
> And other people are complaining about the lack of feedback and discussion! :)
> Can't have it both ways. This is not a vote: it's up to the Liason to act
> or not act based on feedback they get from the community. I'd rather have a
> discussion involving as much of the community as possible.

There are more people willing to talk than willing to do the work.
Contributors have much more say in what and how things get done than
people that just talk. No, I don't want to spend endless hours
listening to the opinions of 21,000 people, most of whom won't lift a
finger to help, but are more than willing to tell you how they'd do
it. There's just no time to run things that way.

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php