Re: On what we want to support: travel?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Michael Dean <mdean(at)sourceview(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, Michael Dean <michael(dot)dean(at)speakeasy(dot)net>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: On what we want to support: travel?
Date: 2006-10-30 15:49:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

> Perhaps "all" was too encompassing. I refer here to the assumption,
> based on anecdotal reporting, that postgresql participation in the 100
> or so open source shows was efficacious, a necessary condition for
> growth,the assumption that elephant pins help the cause, the assumption
> that a CD of just the core database is helpful and necessary and
> produces any results, and the assumption that increased features are
> linked to increased use of the database. And the assumption that
> donated monies should be used to pay travel expenses. The latter
> doesn't fly very well in other groups such as ICANN and is considered by
> some to be a form of corruption.

O.k. this is interesting but not really applicable here. We are not
flying people to business meetings. We are flying people to public talks
for advocacy. We also have requirements around the travel that produce
tangible results (such as requiring that we have the talk/presentation
in hand BEFORE, they leave for the show).

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/