Re: SSL and md5 password?

From: "Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSL and md5 password?
Date: 2008-10-30 03:26:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> According to this, you're trying to connect with SSL off, right? I
> don't think you've got any matching lines for that in your
> pg_hba.conf. But I could be reading that wrong.

Well, psql is trying to connect with SSL off even though postgres was
built with SSL support, the server has SSL turned on, and psql
connects with SSL by default for Kerberos connections. Where I was
getting confused was that, for some reason, md5 authentication wasn't
using SSL (or at least that's what the error suggested) and the only
thing I changed was what user/auth-method I was using.

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> libpq tries to connect with SSL on and then falls back to SSL off. If
>> the latter fails, the error message from the first attempt has been
>> overwritten, and only the second one is logged.
>> This has been fixed by Magnus on CVS HEAD.
>
> Right. So in the meantime, what Peter should do is try the problem case
> after
> export PGSSLMODE=require
> so that he can see the error message that's relevant to his desired use.

After exporting that environment variable, it works. Thanks.

Peter