Re: Anyone using a SAN?

From: "Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gregory Youngblood" <greg(at)tcscs(dot)com>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Anyone using a SAN?
Date: 2008-03-19 21:21:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Dell acquired Equallogic last November/December.
>
> I noticed your Dell meeting was a Dell/EMC meeting. Have you talked to them
> or anyone else about Equallogic?

Now that you mention it, I do recall a bit about Equalogic in the Dell
pitch. It didn't really stand out in my mind and a lot of the
technical details were similar enough to the EMC details that they
just melded in my mind.

> When I was looking at iSCSI solutions, the Equallogic was really slick. Of
> course, I needed high-end performance, which of course came at a steep
> price, and the project got canned. Oh well. Still, the EL solution claimed
> near linear scalability when additional capacity/shelves were added. And,
> they have a lot of really nice technologies for managing the system.

If you think Equalogic is slick, check out 3par. They've got a lot of
very cool features and concepts. Unfortunately, this comes at a higher
price. To each his own, I guess.

Our meetings didn't focus a lot on scalability of capacity, as we just
didn't think to ask. I think the basic pitch was "it scales well"
without any real hard data.

Peter