Re: upgrade 8.0.3 -> 8.2.4

From: "Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Steve Holdoway" <steve(dot)holdoway(at)firetrust(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: upgrade 8.0.3 -> 8.2.4
Date: 2007-05-10 15:26:56
Lists: pgsql-admin
A few months ago, I upgraded postgres from 7.4 to 8.2. There were a few
gotchas, but we don't keep a whole lot of data so even the biggest problems
were, on the whole, minor.

- The cidr data type became more strict, and a few tables in our network
database would not restore until this was fixed.
- One of the primary keys broke and couldn't get created. This was more the
fault of poor admins (before my time) and internal fragmentation than
postgres 7.4. I had to fix the underlying table before it would restore.
- There were a few permissions issues (new acls + an inconsistent previous
policy = fun).
- The system databases went from SQL_ASCII encoding to UTF8 encoding. I had
to explicitly create the database during the restore, or else the database
would have the wrong encoding.

I doubt that you will run into these exact problems, but my point is that
there are inevitably some gotchas. If it's not prohibitively time-consuming,
I'd recommend a full dump/restore of your database(s) from 8.0 to 8.2 so you
can catch many of these gotchas before going live. Also, you might want to
create test versions of your apps and try them against the 8.2 server.

On the whole, I've found postgres to be very good at maintaining backwards
compatibility of interfaces and sql, so I estimate that most queries and db
apps should "just work" with 8.2.

Peter