Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0

From: Michael Dean <mdean(at)sourceview(dot)com>
To: usleepless(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date: 2006-10-28 20:40:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

usleepless(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
> Dear Joshua, List,
>
> On 10/28/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>> So how about instead of spending all this time on this thread we start
>> working on more articles, techdocs, case studies and benchmarks that
>> show that we totally kick arse!
>
> that sounds great. about 2 weeks ago i did a suggestion regarding the
> lack of documentation regarding the disjunction operator ( ie: what is
> it? ).

Let me make a tactical suggestion: Suppose we map out and delineate
various database ways of doing things, functions,etc. and classify these
as strengths or weaknesses of mysql and postgresql. This gives us four
quadrants, what is strong for both, weak for both or strong for one and
weak for the other. We then look at those things in that quadrant which
are weaknesses for mysql but strengths for postgresql. We determine
that we are going to concentrate here on the most elegant and simple
solutions for postgresql which need more work for mysql. Next, we take
a relatively large dataset and illustrate the contortions mysql needs to
do, as opposed to postgresql. We time the actual dba costs for both, we
time the speed of execution, we record any problems. WE do NOT limit
ourselves to "core" pg, but to the full panoply of utilities and
programs that surround it.

Next, we write up a small white paper (4-6 pages) with a title like: If
you are a Small Business and You have to xxxx, here is how you could
easily do it with pg. NO MENTION of mysql. We are, after all,
promoting postgresql.by illustrating its unique strengths. WHEN the
question of how mysql would solve that question comes up, and it surely
will, send the questioner over to the mysql booth for an answer. This
way we are choosing our own battlefield.

Finally, once the selections are made, ground it with an actual
company. write another 4-6 pager: Johnson & Johnson Saved $142,345.56
last year by adopting an elegant postgresql solution! Now, once I have
the first parts, the code, the results, i will write the papers. I am a
statistician, not a dba or programming genius.