Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0

From: Michael Dean <mdean(at)sourceview(dot)com>
To: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
Cc: John Wang <johncwang(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date: 2006-10-28 20:00:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yeah more case studies would be nice, but I guess PostgreSQL will need
> to be driven from DBA's. Some of the derivatives will be able to use
> marketing as a tool. But again PostgreSQL is a tool suited best for
> DBA's. This should be made clear at every opportunity. This makes it
> clear that PostgreSQL is not lagging behind MySQL in terms of
> scability or features, just that its tailored to a smaller group of
> people than the armies of PHP developers that use MySQL. This is not a
> sign of weakness, just a sign of focus.
>
> However, with the growth that PostgreSQL is putting down from the
> already powerful base I am not all that worried. Like I said early on
> in this thread, many of the features available in MySQL since the past
> years simply lack polish. They are often slow and incomplete with the
> notable exception of their charset support and the imminent release of
> their partition support.
>
> So to make my key point clear once again:
> Its important to make people understand that PostgreSQL has no
> intention on competing with MySQL over developers. PostgreSQL is
> competing for DBA's.
>
> regards,
> Lukas

just a little side note. We have had postgresql 8 up and running on
some of our websites now for 18 months or so. we were able to fresh
install it with one of our php based template systems in a little over
an hour, with not a squeek of problem since. works right out of the
box! With that kind of reliability, why do we need a dba?