Re: postgresql tuning

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>
To: jennifer llerena <jenniferllerena(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql tuning
Date: 2006-10-28 09:03:24
Lists: pgsql-novice
jennifer llerena wrote:
> hi everyone.
>
>   I want to learn about tuning a postgresql database.
>   Any documentation i will apreciate!!!
>
>   Regards,
>   Jennifer

Assuming you have PostgreSQL installed the next place to look is the docs -
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/runtime-config.html
starts explaining the configuration options you have.

http://www.powerpostgresql.com/Downloads/annotated_conf_80.html
will explain these settings some more.

Some others to look at (in no particular order) -
http://www.informit.com/articles/printerfriendly.asp?p=24663&rl=1
http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html
http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList

In a more general approach most SQL references explain good database
design - the way you design your tables and specify your indexes can
make a difference just as much as changing the right server option can.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL(at)007Marketing(dot)com

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz