Replicating changes

From: Alban Hertroys <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "S(dot)N(dot)E(dot) de Hartog" <simon(at)magproductions(dot)nl>
Subject: Replicating changes
Date: 2006-10-27 13:59:02
Lists: pgsql-general
Hello list,

We're investigating a ways to replicate changes to the database to
several "outside" systems.

Some filtering will need to take place, as not all changes are allowed
to go to all systems. Whether the system receiving the changes stores
them in a database or not isn't particularly relevant to us. We're only
interested in getting the data out in a specified format.

The changes in the data that needs to be replicated can come in bursts
of several thousands of records. Performance is important, but
reliability as well. We need to get those changes to a number of 3rd
parties, in a format that we're allowed to specify.

So far we've looked into a few solutions:
1.) Adding triggers to the relevant tables that send a NOTIFY and store
the changes in a local table. probably some meta-data will be required,
like for example a time stamp.

2.) Use one of the existing replication systems. We're currently under
the impression that (we've looked at Slony-I particularly) the slave
system is supposed to be another (postgresql?) database. This wouldn't
fit our needs, but maybe we're overlooking something?

3.) Somehow directly monitoring the WAL files, interpreting and
detecting changes. So far we haven't found any documentation on how WAL
files are stored, so we're not sure this is feasible.

This is a call for advice, as we're surely not the first who are trying
to accomplish this. If any clarification is needed, please ask. We want
to get this right.

--
Alban Hertroys
alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl

magproductions b.v.

T: ++31(0)534346874
F: ++31(0)534346876
M:
I: www.magproductions.nl
A: Postbus 416
    7500 AK Enschede

// Integrate Your World //

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Taras KopetsDate: 2006-10-27 14:04:54