Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Duncan Garland <duncan(dot)garland(at)ntlworld(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date: 2006-10-21 20:26:02
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> I would further argue that many of the features being pushed for 8.3,
> recursive queries, bitmap indexes, rollup/group by, updateable queries
> are the direct result of positioning either against Oracle/MSSQL or
> MySQL pending feature sets. (Although more toward Oracle/MSSQL certainly).

Wanting to implement features that postgresql users want and ask for
does not say we are positioning against db's that have implemented them
before us.

In the goal of creating a useful database (or any other software for
that matter) we will always have others that think up and implement
things before us, because we think their idea is good and would like
postgresql to do something similar doesn't mean we are trying to
position ourselves against them, we just want our product to do the
things we think it should be able to do.

We may hear about these features and start drooling and running polls to
see if we can convince every other postgresql user to want them included
in the next version, but that is because we want the feature and think
it would be useful not because we want to compete directly with
Oracle/MSSQL/MySQL.

It is thinking of and implementing features before the others (or just
doing them better) that gives us something to brag about and use when
comparing with the other db's.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL(at)007Marketing(dot)com