UTF8 and Accented Characters

From: Chris Campbell <ccampbell(at)cascadeds(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: UTF8 and Accented Characters
Date: 2011-05-26 19:22:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi, I'm attempting to import data into a Postgresql database, which was defined as using a utf8 character set. A few of the text fields in my import contain accented characters (SAINT-ANDRÉ) as an example. This is a rare case and won't happen often but, obviously will happen occasionally so I need to know what options I have in dealing with them. Also, do I have an option of using a different character set that supports the full breath of utf8 and accented characters?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Chris Campbell
Cascade Data Solutions, Inc.
ccampbell(at)CascadeDS(dot)com