Changing Field Ordinal Position

From: Chris Campbell <ccampbell(at)cascadeds(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Changing Field Ordinal Position
Date: 2010-10-22 17:38:30
Lists: pgsql-novice
Using PostgreSQL 9.0.1

Hi, is it possible to change the ordinal position of fields in a table, or, more specifically, be able to specify the ordinal position when adding new fields to a table.  I see that each field has a property called "position" yet there seems to be no way to change it, or, when fields are dropped from a table does it seem to update.

I looked at the ALTER [ COLUMN ] column SET ( attribute_option = value [, ... ] ) and RESET ( attribute_option [, ... ] ) but according to the documentation this only applies to n_distinct and n_distinct_inherited properties.  Thank you for any assistance...

Chris Campbell
Cascade Data Solutions, Inc.
ccampbell(at)CascadeDS(dot)com
(800) 280-2090

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Andreas KretschmerDate: 2010-10-22 17:49:13