Re: Jdbc/postgres performance

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Rohit_Behl" <Rohit_Behl(at)infosys(dot)com>
Cc: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Jdbc/postgres performance
Date: 2006-10-18 12:51:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

Rohit_Behl wrote:
> Hi
>
> I made the following changes to the conf file:
>
> enable_indexscan = true
>
> enable_seqscan = false
>
> We also have a large amount of data being inserted into our tables. I was just wondering if this could have an impact on the inserts since I guess this change is on the database.

enable_seqscan shouldn't affect plain inserts, but it will affect
*every* query in the system.

I would suggest using setting "prepareThreshold=0" in the JDBC driver
connection URL, or calling pstmt.setPrepareThreshold(0) in the
application. That tells the driver not to use server-side prepare, and
the query will be re-planned every time you execute it with the real
values of the parameters.

--
Heikki Linnakangas